Everyone loves mac and cheese! Here’s a less-guilty version. The pasta is made of brown rice and quinoa so it definitely won’t give you that same bloated feeling that normal pasta gives you. The sauce is super gooey and wonderful. This would be the perfect comfort food 🙂
Quinoa Mac and Cheese
- 1 bag of Trader Joe’s Organic Brown Rice and Quinoa Fusilli Pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 9 cloves of garlic (or less if you don’t like garlic!), finely grated
- 2 cups skim milk (i used almond milk)
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 12 oz reduced fat mild cheddar
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add flour and cook over low heat stirring with a whisk. . Add milk and chicken broth and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked pasta. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs.