I made these for Mother’s Day Breakfast! Everyone loves these crispy Chinese “pancakes”, although they aren’t sweet, but super savory. I adapted the recipe from thekitchn website. We go to Chinese restaurants all the time and always order Chong Yao Bang, so try these out if you are craving them and aren’t going out!
***Be sure that if you are storing them in the fridge to put a piece of parchment paper between each one so they don’t stick! I made that mistake, which is why some of mine were super distorted looking
Green Onion Pancakes
2 1/2 cups white flour
1 cup warm water
1 bunch scallions
Spray oil or cooking spray
Large metal baking sheet
One 10-inch heavy skillet or sauté pan
1. Mix 2 1/2 cups flour with 1 cup water until it forms a smooth dough. Knead by doubling the dough over and pressing it down repeatedly, until the dough is even more smooth and very elastic. Coat this ball of dough lightly in oil and put it back in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
2. Cut the dough into 4 equal parts. Lightly oil the back of a large metal baking sheet. Roll out one part of the dough on the back of the baking sheet. Roll until it is a thin rectangle at least 12 x 9 inches.
3. Finely chop the bunch of scallions and have them ready, along with a small bowl of kosher salt.
4. Lightly brush the top of the dough with oil, then sprinkle it evenly with chopped scallions and kosher salt.
5. Starting from the long end, roll the dough up tightly, creating one long snake of rolled-up dough.
6. Cut the dough snake in two equal parts.
7. Take one of these halves and coil into a round dough bundle.
8. Roll out the coiled dough bundle again into a flat, smooth, round pancake.
9. Heat a 10-inch heavy skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat, and oil it with a drizzle of canola of vegetable oil. When the oil shimmers, pick up the pancake dough and lay it gently in the pan. It should sizzle, but not burn. Cook for 2 minutes on one side.
10. Flip the pancake over with a spatula and cook for an additional 2 minutes on the other side, or until golden brown.
11. Cut the pancake into wedges with a pair of kitchen scissors, and serve immediately with soy sauce or another dipping sauce.
Ho Sick uhhh!
le hungry monkey